I’m doing FANTASTIC on “operation lose the baby weight”. I’m eating only whole, organic and minimally processed foods. I’m cutting back on meats and pushing the raw veggies and fermented, probiotic rich foods. I’ve cut out sugar (for now) and my only splurge is gallons of freshly ground, home roasted, organic, fair trade coffee with raw goat milk. (Cuz I’m a rebel like that!)
My weight isn’t something I talk about much on my blog, mostly because it’s actually a VERY sensitive subject for me. Before I had Tessa or Thyme, my weight was 125. This is a good, healthy weight for my body shape and size.
But I kind of let myself go between the two pregnancies, and, well… the day before I delivered Thyme I weighed in at 208 pounds.
Since I had Thyme four weeks ago, I’ve been eating healthy and staying moderately active. This morning, I weighed in at 175 pounds. I’m well aware that the majority of that was the baby, and water weight, and blah blah blah. But DAMN it feels good to see the scale go down, and down, and down. Even though I still have 50 pounds to go… *grumble grumble*
Since early April I’ve cut out desserts (even healthy ones) COMPLETELY for two solid weeks now while I detox from sugar. And today I decided.. I’m ready for an unhealthy splurge! So I figured I’d make it a glorious one.
This recipe is one that my mother-in-law likes to make whenever we come to visit her in Washington State, and it has a nostalgic place in my heart. It’s a lot of fun to jump up and try to stir the gooey, sticky mixture. It has a tendency to stick and fly everywhere, and between stealing bites of gooey caramel corn and yelping over burnt fingers, it’s a full on activity.. not just a dessert!
Husband and I made a full batch tonight, and after eating my fill, I’m packing the remainder up for him to take to work. NOT keeping this temptation in the house, that’s for sure!
Anyway, I thought I would share the recipe with you lovely folks, and then I’m back to eating whole foods again! (I need to discover some good, wholesome recipes to share like some of you awesome food bloggers I know!)
Heavenly Caramel Corn
You Will Need:
20 cups of popcorn
1 cup of butter
2 cups of brown sugar
½ cup of corn syrup
1 teaspoon of salt
½ teaspoon of baking soda
1. Spread the popcorn evenly on a baking sheet. Place it in a very slow over (250 degrees) to keep it warm and crisp.
2. Combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt in a heavy saucepan. Boil and stir to firm ball stage (about 248 degrees), about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.
3. Take the popcorn from the oven and pour the hot caramel mixture over it in a fine stream. Stir to mix well.
4. Return to the oven for 45 minutes, taking it out to stir every 15 minutes. (This is the fun part!)
5. When done, enjoy some gooey sticky caramel corn, and when cooled, it hardens to a lovely crunchy sweet caramel corn! Store in an air tight container and enjoy!