This past Saturday my little family joined a small group of local activists in Tulare, California for an overpass rally in an effort to speak out and raise awareness in the public about the problem of illegal immigration in our state and nation.
My sister and mother joined us for the rally (that’s my sissy holding baby Tessa in the Ergo in the pictures above and below) and we had some moderately hot weather for our rally, which was blissfully serene in comparison to the scorchingly hot weather we’ve been having here in the Central Valley recently.
While holding our signs on a popular overpass in Tulare, nation-wide thousands of others took to their local overpasses, creating a traveling message up and down the major highways of our states.
Passing traffic along Prosperity and Highway 99 offered overwhelming support in thumbs up, cheerful honks and excited fist pumps. There were, of course, the stray manics flipping us off and shouting obscenities in keeping with the spirit of those who see no problem with lawlessness or failing to abide by Constitutional, federal and state laws. But aside from barks, there was no bite from the criminally-minded in our community.
I don’t mean to sound crass, but elsewhere in the state, peaceful groups like ours were being egged, assaulted and crazed illegals even attempted to light American flags on fire. For a topic so cut and dry as illegal activity = bad, emotions are running high on this seemingly simple topic.
Why We Attended This Rally
Aside from being law-abiding patriots that love our country and want to see our laws upheld, there are two major reasons we felt the need to take to the streets with this message. One is primarily of safety and the other in one of fiscal responsibility. (If you were expecting me to say “race’, you MIGHT be a race-baiting Obamabot…)
Matters of Safety
Law abiding citizens generally do not commit crimes. Therefore it should come as no surprise that a good portion of illegal immigrants flooding across our open and unsecured borders are made up of thieves, rapists, gang members and drug dealers.
According to the testimony of District Attorney John M. Morganelli, if you ignore the “minor crimes” such as ID theft and property crimes being committed by illegal aliens, here is a summary on some of the collateral damage reaped in crimes as a result of tolerating illegal aliens in the USA (click here for additional information):
– In Los Angeles, 95% of some 1,500 outstanding warrants for homicides are for illegal aliens. About 67% of the 17,000 outstanding fugitive felony warrants are for illegal aliens.
– There are currently over 400,000 unaccounted for illegal alien criminals with outstanding deportation orders. At least one fourth of these are hard core criminals.
– 80,000 to 100,000 illegal aliens who have been convicted of serious crimes are walking the streets. Based on studies they will commit an average of 13 serious crimes per perpetrator.
– At least 4.5 million pounds of cocaine with a street value of at least $72 billion is smuggled across the southern border every year.
– 56% of illegal aliens charged with a reentry offense had previously been convicted on at least 5 prior occasions. Illegal aliens charged with unlawful reentry had the most extensive criminal histories. 90% had been previously arrested. Of those with a prior arrest, 50% had been arrested for violent or drug-related felonies.
– Illegal aliens commit between 700,000 to 1,289,000 or more crimes per year. Additionally, illegal aliens commit at least 2,158 murders each year – a number that represents three times greater participation than their proportion of the population.
– Illegal alien sexual predators commit an estimated 130,909 sexual crimes each year. There may be as many as 240,000 illegal alien sex offenders circulating throughout America. Based on studies, they will commit an average of 8 sex crimes per perpetrator before being caught. Nearly 63% of illegal alien sex offenders had been deported on another offense prior to committing the sex crime.
Matters of the Economy
All of the above lawlessness doesn’t come cheap to Americans. California – where we live – is currently diving even deeper into debt to support and accommodate this flood illegals, all while ignoring the needs of the taxpaying citizens paying into this whole fiasco.
Here are some quick facts regarding the state of California alone. The Federation for American Immigration Reform reported on June 19th, 2014 that (click here to read the full article):
– Funding the K-12 education for children who are themselves illegal aliens and for the citizen children of illegal aliens accounts for the largest share of the cost to taxpayers at $14.4 billion. These services included standard public school educations and supplemental English language instruction. Despite federal funding, the average per pupil expenditure is $10,450 each year.
– Justice and law enforcement costs — policing, court and incarceration — associated with illegal aliens soared to more than $4.4 billion.
– Medical services cost taxpayers approximately $4 billion, including $388 million associated with 68,000 births to illegal alien mothers.
– Public assistance — low and no-cost meal programs, free immunizations, etc. — are available to residents regardless of legal status, which means illegal aliens can dip into a financial system that they are paying into or contributing to. The $792 million price tag for these services is borne by California taxpayers.
– Overall, over 23% of California’s $108 billion 2014 budget will cover the fiscal burdens of illegal immigration.
This political circus affects California’s ability to meet its basic obligations to citizens and legal residents. Despite overwhelming evidence that illegal immigration represents an unsustainable fiscal burden to the state, the California Legislature and local governments across the state continue to provide new benefits, new services, and new privileges to illegal aliens, even as the state neglects the needs and concerns of other Californians. The costs will continue to grow so long as the state continues to reward illegal immigration and impedes immigration enforcement.
Join Us Next Time!
For more information on the ongoing Overpasses for America rallies, check out the Facebook event National Protests Against Illegal Immigration & Amnesty & Obama’s Border Surge! (CLICK HERE)
And for you local Californians, check out the Facebook group: Overpasses for America California (CLICK HERE)